Many of you have reached out to the the Local regarding your concerns around coronavirus (COVID-19). As the news coverage continues, we want to update you with guidance, reassurance, resources and some simple best practices that you, your co-workers, family and friends should be mindful of.
We recognize this is an ongoing situation and we here at the Union are monitoring closely to assist with any additional information provided by the Centers for Disease Control and direct You to available resources. The safety of our Members and our Community is always of utmost importance.
The best resources available for information surrounding COVID-19 can be found here:
The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. However, as a reminder, CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases, including:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask.
- CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
- Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
The IBT has also put together a comprehensive guide that they will be updating as the situation continues.
Lastly, we want to remind our Members of the exceptional Health Benefits available to Local 399 Members and your family. Outside of the COVID-19 awareness, we encourage Members to always seek out medical attention for any ailments. We encourage our Members to take advantage of the comprehensive benefits available to them.
Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns at this time.
Teamsters Local 399