The annual International Roadcheck lead by the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) will take place June 2-4, 2015.

This year the inspections will focus on cargo securement. Inspectors will be looking for compliance with safe loading regulations. Additionally, the examiners will be performing the 37-step North American Standard Level I Inspection of the vehicle and driver.

The vehicle inspection will include a check of the brake system, exhaust system, fuel system, suspension, lights, and tires.

The inspectors will be checking drivers for the required paperwork. Keep in mind that some of the required paperwork depends on factors such as if the driver operates as a for-hire or private carrier, operates interstate or intrastate, and the type of commodity the driver is hauling (e.g., oversize piece of machinery, used solvent, agricultural produce, etc.).

 The following list will help drivers stay in compliance with agency paperwork requirements:

  • Driver’s license. A current, valid license for the commercial motor vehicle he/she is driving.
  • Medical examiner’s certificate (non-CDL drivers, or a non-excepted, interstate CDL drivers with an exam within the past 15 days). A current, valid medical examiner’s certificate or variance documentation, if applicable.
  • Driver’s record of duty status (log). Driver’s log for the current day and the previous seven days. Other documents that may verify log entries may also be requested. The driver’s log shall be current to the last change of duty status.
  • AOBRD documentation. For drivers using automatic on-board recording devices (AOBRDs), an instruction sheet describing in detail how data may be stored and retrieved from the device and a supply of blank graph-grid logs sufficient to record the driver’s duty status and other required information for the duration of the current trip. If an AOBRD uses location codes instead of city/state information, a list of the location codes showing all possible location identifiers is also required.
  • Documentation of annual inspection. A copy of the annual inspection report or an annual inspection sticker must be on the vehicle. If complying with a mandatory state inspection program, any required document for that program.
  • Hazardous materials paperwork. Depending on what hazardous materials you’re hauling, the driver may need any or all of the following: shipping paper, hazardous waste manifest, emergency response information, a copy of the certificate of registration if the registration number is not included on another document. If transporting explosives (Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3), the driver will also need a copy of Part 397, instructions on what to do in the event of an accident or delay in shipment, and a written route plan.
  • Permit credentials. Based on the type of motor carrier operation you have, the driver may need the following: base state or International Registration Plan ( IRP) cab card, International Fuel Tax Agreement IFTA) license and decals, state authority credentials, insurance card, any necessary state mileage tax permits, temporary trip permits or special permits such as oversize/overweight. Certain registrations (Unified Carrier Registration (UCR), and in some cases state mileage tax) are required but no credential is necessary; compliance is verified electronically.
  • Bill of lading/shipping paper. For-hire common carriers must have a billl of lading; for-hire contract carriers operate under a contract with shipper but should carry documentation of the load; hazardous materials carriers must have a shipping paper; non-hazardous private carriers should carry documentation of the load.
  • Lease agreement. If the vehicle is leased, a copy of the lease agreement must be carried in the vehicle for the duration of the lease.