Teachers across California are making bold decisions to take action for their students and for the future of public education. Educators are deeply committed to improving learning conditions in their classrooms and public education calling for crucial changes such as:
- Reduced Class Sizes
- Improved School Safety
- Less Testing/More Teaching
- Fair Wages
- Increased Oversight for Charter School
UTLA Strike called for this Monday, January 14 if they don’t reach a deal.
The over 30,000 Members of UTLA, the United Teachers of Los Angeles, have called for a strike for this Monday, January 14 if they don’t reach a deal this weekend. Going on strike is never an easy decision. In fact, as we all know, it’s a last resort. Workers put everything on the line to stand together for what’s right.
IBT Joint Council 42 has sanctioned the strike for Los Angeles Teachers and their fight! What does that mean for Teamster Local 399 Members?
1. You have the right to Honor the UTLA Picket Lines: Teamsters don’t cross Picket lines! If you are filming on a location at a school that has an active picket line you do not have to cross. We urge Members to stand in Solidarity with Educators by honoring their picket lines. Please keep in mind, while you have the right to honor the picket line where bargaining unit work is being performed, you do not have the right to strike.Picketing in support can only be done where there is no bargaining unit work being performed. You may honor the line, but not join the Picket Line. If you have any questions, please email your Business Agent for clarification.
2. If Teachers Strike Monday – Join a Picket Line: If you want to walk the Picket Line with Educators around Los Angeles head to wearepublicschools.org to learn more about schools in your neighborhood hosting actions on Monday that you can support should LA Educators go on Strike. Please keep in mind, if you would like to picket in support it can only be done on your own time, where this no bargaining unit work being performed. If there is bargaining unit work being done you can honor the line however you cannot picket.
- If you live in the Sherman Oaks area, one of our Location Managers Dorion Thomas is working with UTLA Representatives to help with logistics for a Strike at Dixie Canyon Community Charter on Monday should Teachers Strike. If the strike happens, the teachers at Dixie Canyon plan to be picketing from 7:00AM to 9:00AM and from 1:55PM to 3:55PM.
- If you live close to this school and want to get involved – email Dorion for more details should Teachers Strike: email@example.com.
3. Make it known that you Stand with Los Angeles Educators: Wear #RedforED in support of LA Teachers or share a message of support on your Social Media channels to show solidarity with Los Angeles Educators and their fight for a fair deal. Click here to download some shareable graphics.
LA Educators are strike-ready for Monday if they don’t get a fair deal and we stand in Solidarity with our Union Brothers & Sisters in the fight.
If you have any questions pertaining to the UTLA Strike, please reach out to your Business Agent directly.